Obviously this post is a bit late… So, 2016 came and went, I mean its already mid-January 2017! Over 2016, I managed to try many many great beers, especially with a long trip to Europe over the summer which included Belgium and Denmark. This list of most memorable beers is not a list of beers that I rated most highly throughout this time, but simply, just as it says, most memorable to me. It includes all the beers that I’ve tried, including at tastings (usually at least 100ml), beer festivals or whatnot, and it does not matter whether I have reviewed them here or not. There is also no limit per brewery or per style, and is just listed in alphabetical order.
- 3 Fonteinen Oude Geuze Cuvée Armand & Gaston | Belgium | Lambic (Gueuze)
- 3 Fonteinen Oude Kriek van Schaerbeekse Krieken | Belgium | Lambic (Fruit)
- Cantillon Carignan | Belgium | Lambic (Fruit)
- Cantillon Lou Pepe Framboise | Belgium | Lambic (Fruit)
- De Molen Hel & Verdoemenis Port Charlotte (peated) BA | Netherlands | Imperial Stout
- Hill Farmstead Arthur | USA | Saison
- Mikkeller Spontantripleblueberry | Denmark | Lambic (Fruit)
- Põhjala x To Øl Cellar Series Taanilinn Cognac BA | Estonia | Imperial Stout
- Sante Adairius West Ashley | USA | Wild Ale
- Tilquin Oude (Gueuze Tilquin)² À l’ancienne | Belgium | Lambic (Gueuze)
Interestingly, despite the IPA and Imperial IPA likely easily being my two most drank styles over the year (including a special fresh IPA tasting in Hong Kong that included a whole bunch of Treehouse, Trillium, Alchemist and Monkish beers), none of them made this list that is dominated by eight sour beers and two Imperial Stouts.
I have reviewed all the beers on this list except Hill Farmstead Arthur, which I had at our 2016 Hill Farmstead Christmas party tasting (post to come – ‘I think…’) at Club Qing. But at a tasting that also included Anna, Convivial Suaréz (Grassroots), Dorothy, Earl, Edith, Everett, Fear and Trembling, Florence, Genealogy, and Twilight of the Idols; Arthur ended up being my favourite. Brief TN – sour, tart, funk, lemon, straw and peach.
Anyway, feel free comment on what was your most memorable beers of 2016, and carry on drinking! You can always check out what I am drinking in 2017 on this blog, Beer Advocate, Rate Beer, Untapped and Instagram. Cheers!